Re: shell wrappers for trig and other mathematical functions

On 10/3/19, David <bouncingcats@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 at 02:39, Lee <ler762@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/2/19, Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:
>
>>> This is what shell functions are for.  You can just drop the shell
>>> functions into your ~/.bashrc and then use them in every interactive
>>> shell thenceforth.
>
>>> I strongly recommend this approach over the aliases that were previously
>>> suggested, by the way.  Functions are so much cleaner.
>
>> How are functions cleaner?
>
>> I've been using aliases for I don't know how long and haven't noticed
>> any problems:
>
>> what am I missing?
>
> Seeing as this is a FAQ, I hope it's not impolite for me to
> respectfully chip-in with some links in reply:

Nope - not at all impolite; I appreciate the links.
  <.. snip ..>
> I hope this is a useful response, apologies if you knew all this already.

Yes - very useful.  I have an uneven knowledge of linux.  It wasn't
until this year that I installed Debian at home and my work experience
was as a windows user, ssh'ing into Red Hat servers.

Thanks,
Lee