Re: testing security updates

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 15:40:53 -0400
Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

Hello Greg,

>YOU DO NOT MIX STABLE WITH TESTING.
>
>YOU DO NOT MIX STABLE WITH UNSTABLE.
>
>YOU DO NOT MIX TESTING WITH UNSTABLE.

By and large, I agree.

I would add a few caveats, though.

If one uses sites such as spotify or amazon video, one has, on
occasion, to install a version of firefox(1) from unstable because those
two companies insist on supporting only a small number of versions of
the browser.  As such, after a while, the version of ff in testing
sometimes becomes 'too old', necessitating another update.  TBH, I'd
prefer not to do this, but my kids use both spotify & amazon video.  And
for a quiet(er) life.......

Also, currently, digikam is not in testing.  No big deal, I have it
installed and working.  *However* if I had just installed testing, I
would get digikam from stable, because I use it daily, and can't do
certain things without it.

Also, as Tomas says, if you know the pro's and con's, you can mix and
match.  Of course, if stuff breaks, then you get to keep the pieces.

(1)  I could use a version direct from mozilla, but I prefer to avoid
that.

--
 Regards  _
Age of destruction, age of oblivion