Re: RStudio in Buster

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 09:28:05AM +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 10:34:17PM +0100, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> > The most recent package they provide is aiming at Stretch -- they don't
> > seem to have produced a Buster version yet.
>
> It says otherwise here [1]:
>
> Studio 1.2.5001 - Ubuntu 18/Debian 10 (64-bit)
>
> and here [2]:
>
> Supported branches:
> 	Debian buster (stable)

OK it seems they think they've made a buster compatible version, but
they evidently didn't test it very well, since the fact remains the
program refuses to run without libssl1.0.2, which renders it unable to
work in pure buster.

> > The Stretch-facing package installs into Buster without error, but then
> > fails when you try to launch it because it has a dependency on
> > libssl1.0.2 and Buster uses libssl1.1 (and presumably this dependency
> > isn't recorded at the package level)
>
> Again, dpkg disagrees with you:
>
> $ dpkg -I /tmp/rstudio-1.2.5001-amd64.deb  | grep Dep
>  Depends: libedit2, libssl1.0.0 | libssl1.0.2 | libssl1.1, libclang-dev, libxkbcommon-x11-0,  libc6 (>= 2.7)

Nope, that is perfect agreement with me, not disagreement. The package
says it needs libssl1.0.0 OR libssl1.0.2 OR libssl1.1, which allows
buster to install it without dependency problems, using libssl1.1 to
fulfil the dependency, but then as I said the program refuses to run if
libssl1.0.2 is not installed, even if libssl1.1 is present. So that
dependency info in the package is incorrect. The app actually stops with
an error message on launch saying words to the effect of "I couldn't
find libssl1.0.2". It then tries, presumably as a fallback, to find a
particular version of libcrypto (I forget what version precisely) and in
buster fails at that too. Installing libssl1.0.2 resolves the problem
and lets the app start.

> I suggest you to update your RStudio package and to forget about
> libssl1.0.

The version I downloaded is 1.2.5001, which is the latest version for
Debian and is the version you were looking at too. As we've established
here, the package's dependency info and the real world dependencies of
the application are not in synch, making it APPEAR like it should work
in buster but it does not actually work in buster. When I googled this
problem the only solution I found was from someone else who felt, like
me, that while installing libssl1.0.2 works, it sucks and could be
introducing who-knows-what potential future subtle problems. Hence my
question (helpfully answered by deloptes) about if there is a safe way
to do that.

Mark