Re: Authentication for telnet.

Hello,

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 02:36:02PM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> From: Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net>
> > I have to ask - what are you trying to achieve?
>
> An interactive shell session with minimal overhead. (Or maximal
> efficiency.)  The telnet client in the Oberon subsystem is noticeably
> faster than competitors.

Because such a thing is hideously insecure, it has fallen into
disuse and SSH is the name of the game these days, Even if you do
not require the security of SSH, the mere fact that SSH is
ubiquitous means that you may have an easier time using SSH for
this. Have you tried SSH and found it lacking somehow?

Is it a case that the hosts you are dealing with are too
underpowered CPU-wise to cope with SSH's encryption?

I am old enough to remember how we used to remotely manage machines
before SSH was invented: rlogin. You can still install rlogin on
Debian, and by crafting a suitable $HOME/.rhosts file you can
provide passwordless plain text login capability. "man rlogin" and
"man 5 rhosts" should get you going. I still think it is a really
bad idea unless SSH is totally out of the question.

Finally, it is possible to spawn a shell on a particxular port with
socat and then use socat at the other end to connect to it, to
provide an interactive shell session again with no authentication or
encryption. See:

    https://blog.ropnop.com/upgrading-simple-shells-to-fully-interactive-ttys/#method2usingsocat

> > ... your request seems to be awfully close to (in)famous A/B
> > problem, ...
>
> I might have read about the A/B Problem years ago but don't recall or
> understand well enough.

It's when someone has a problem, and they think a particular method
will solve it, so they ask about that method rather than the problem
itself. They risk missing a much better solution because they
focussed on the particular method they knew of.

Cheers,
Andy