Re: Problems with Buster and Bluetooth

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 01:21:03PM -0400, David Parker wrote:
> Ok, I think I may have solved the connectivity issue.  Some additional
> Googling revealed that GDM starts an instance of PulseAudio, and that
> conflicts with the PulseAudio server used by the Bluetooth device.  The
> steps to stop GDM from starting PulseAudio can be found online, and I've
> adapted them for Buster here:
>
> (as root):
> echo "autospawn = no" >> /var/lib/gdm3/.config/pulse/client.conf
> echo "daemon-binary = /bin/true" >> /var/lib/gdm3/.config/pulse/client.conf
> su - Debian-gdm -c "mkdir -p /var/lib/gdm3/.config/systemd/user"
> su - Debian-gdm -c "ln -s /dev/null
> /var/lib/gdm/.config/systemd/user/pulseaudio.socket"

Ah -- that old chestnut! I had that problem back in the day (wheezy or
stretch, I don't remember which) with a pair of high-end bluetooth
headphones.

I recently fresh-installed Buster, I've used Bluetooth with a speaker
but not with my headphones without problems, but I just checked and I
_do_ have 2 instances of pulseaudio running, one as my regular user and
one as Debian-<something>. Isn't that a bug in Debian's setup? Is there
some reason one would want things that way?

Mark