Re: Understanding PATH$ variable

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 05:21:27PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> PATH is a convention of shells like bash or dash, not of Python.
> In your examples it lets the shell parser find /usr/bin/python from
> "python".

It's also used by some of the libc exec wrappers.  Specifically,
the ones with "p" in their names: execlp(), execvp() and execvpe().

I'd be rather surprised if there's *no* function in Python that uses
the PATH variable.  I'm not a Python developer, but I'm sure it has
some features for running external programs, and I'd bet that at least
one of those features has the option to search PATH for programs.