Re: confused, seems to be my normal state

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 02:42:21PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-09-18 13:46:38)
> > On Tuesday 17 September 2019 22:05:28 David wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > 3) write the SD card
> > > (replace my /dev/sd_ with your SD card device,
> > > without any partition number):
> >
> > > # unzip -p raspbian_latest.zip | dd bs=4M of=/dev/sd_ status=progress conv=fsync
> >
> > This last is what I was looking for, thank you, and I'll give it all a
> > shot later today. In fact, card is written.
>
> Essentiall you want to copy all raw content onto the raw device.
>
> This works too (and not only with specially crafted zip files):
>
>   $ unzip foo.zip
>   $ su -c "cp image-unpacked-from-foo-zip /dev/sd_"

Also spelt "zcat foo.zip > /dev/sd_" for those who don't want to
leave a file around they have to delete later.

> dd is *not* a better tool for this task - that's just false rumors.

I don't know about "better", but it's the right tool for that job,
affording you

- unbuffered output (oflag=direct) for when you don't want
  to wait for ages after dd has finished while your system
  is flushing buffers (or worse, pull the stick/card out
  while buffers are not flushed because you think copy is
  ready, leading to funny results)

- progress display (either by sending it an USR1 signal or
  by stating "status=progress".

There's a reason a carpenter's shop has more than one tool,
but hey, if you insist, you can take out a screw with scissors.

Cheers
-- t