Re: rocks n diamonds

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 09:30:46 +0100
Paul Sutton <zleap@disroot.org> wrote:

Hello Paul,

>Thanks to everyone for their help,  would be good to figure out why
>things like this happen.

'su' inherits the current environment ($PATH, etc.)

'su -' creates a new environment (based on user you're su-ing to [not
always root])

This is a change from previous behaviour (obviously).   However, many
(all?) other distros do it that way, Debian just came late to that
particular party.

There's bound to be info about it on the Debian wiki, and it has
certainly been discussed on this list in the past.  Those discussions
may have taken place before you joined us here, IDK.  Search for 'su vs
su -' using your preferred search engine, and you'll see lots of info.

--
 Regards  _
When I say ugly, I don't mean rough looking, I mean hideous