Re: DRI_PRIME has no effect when running in a different user

Hi there, and thanks for the advice.

On 9 Sep 2019, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> if you want access to the local machine's hardware (accelerated video
> drivers, audio, etc.), you'll want  to login on the actual console.

This reminded me of running BOINC, which also uses a separate user but was
able to detect GPU for OpenCL computing. I just tried again - it can detect
the GPU when launched with `sudo -u boinc boinc` from my regular user,
but not when it is started as a systemd service even though the unit file also
sets it to the boinc user... which brings me to the below:

> that won't put it in the same "seat" as your real user account.
I used `loginctl user-status` to check the isolated process started with `sudo
-u`, only to find it in my regular user's desktop session, and thus has the
same seat.

> [1] I really should stop that sentence right there.
I'm trying to do it this way so that I can put something like "Exec=sudo -u
game steam" in the desktop shortcuts, and I can launch it seamlessly from my
main DE. Any alternative routes to achieve the same effect?