Re: x and virtual consoles

On 8/6/19 12:29 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2019-08-06, Ed <ed-debian@s5h.net> wrote:
On 2019-08-06 09:02+0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Lu, 05 aug 19, 21:56:55, Ed wrote:
How do you run two login managers though so that you can have two users
share the same computer without having to log out? In other words,
whilst I go and make dinner I want to allow someone else to sit here,
without having to shut applications down?
Some login managers have the "switch user" feature.
Does that feature take the user back to the login screen without leaving
the applications running?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LightDM

  LightDM's dm-tool command can be used to allow multiple users to be logged in
  on separate ttys. The following will send a signal requesting that the current
  session be locked and then will initiate a switch to LightDM's greeter,
  allowing a new user to log in to the system.

$ dm-tool switch-to-greeter

Looks promising.

I am another one of those who like to boot to a terminal and then run startx (which then runs mate), so this may not apply if you want to boot to a DE's login manager, but just to get it out there for those who are interested:

My wife, daughter and I each have separate logins on a single box.  On the rare occasions that the system gets rebooted, I log on to vt1 and run startx (using alias startx='clear; startx -- :0'), my wife logs on to vt2 and runs startx (using alias startx='clear; startx -- :1'), and my daughter uses vt3 and alias startx='clear; startx -- :2'.  After that ctl-alt-f1 gets to my session, ctl-alt-f2 gets to my wife's session and ctl-alt-f3 gets to my daughter's session.  All sessions running all the time.  The only disadvantage to this is that occasionally a web page that my daughter has up will decide that it's time to play music.  Then I have to find the offending page and mute it.  Other than that, this system has worked for us for years.

Marc