Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On Sunday 08 September 2019 02:18:38 David wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 at 06:59, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > What did I do wrong in dd-ing
> > the net-install iso to the new 64GB u-sd card?
>
> Please give us a link so that we can identify and test whatever
> file you are calling "the net-install iso".

debian-10.0.0-armhf-netinst.iso, located on this machines main drive,
downloaded from a debian site with FF.

md5sum=df55beefd09acd1db38e6e66cb8308c2

> Please show us exactly the "dd" command you used to write
> it to the sd card.

sudo dd if=debian-10.0.0-armhf-netinst.iso bs=4096 of=/dev/sdf1

/dev/sdf1 is an unmounted 64GB PNY u-sd card. Original format NTFS.

Mounting it and reading the directory after the dd write looks like I
think it should, a directory of the iso, not the iso itself.

The rpi4b is being powered from its gpio pins 2=5.11 volts, 6=common from
a canna kit v2.5 amp supply, which may not be enough amps as theres 2
keyboard/mouse dongles in the usb2 ports, and a usb3 hub with two SSD's
plugged into a usb3 (blue port) and a single micro to std hdmi plugged
into hdmi#1. and a net cable from my garage switch plugged into the cat5
jack.  No heat sinks, they're someplace between HongKong and WV yet. No
detectable heating, just the red led is lit, green flashes for a very
few milliseconds, once.

This same supply ran a rock64 with all that same stuff plugged in w/o a
problem, running armbian on the rock64.

Dead stable until amanda touched it, crashed. Amanda is the backup
utility of choice here, has been for 20 years now.
Amanda from your repo's crashes all arm64 installs, but thats a separate,
different problem we'll solve later. Probably by building it from src,
I'm used to that. NBD to me.

I have a bigger 4 amp supply  but haven't rigged it with output jumpers
yet.
> If you do that, it makes it possible that we can duplicate your
> situation and/or reliably answer your question.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis