Re: Cannot boot after distro upgrade (SOLVED)

On 9/2/19 5:39 PM, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Mon, Sep 02, 2019 at 04:44:18PM +0200, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
On 9/2/19 10:28 AM, Reco wrote:

Judging from the pictures, it's the ext4 filesystem.
So, let's proceed to the destructive steps:

fsck.ext4 -f /dev/localhost/tmp
mount -t ext4 /dev/localhost/tmp /tmp
umount /tmp
fsck.ext4 -f /dev/localhost/tmp

If the mounting succeeds, change filesystem type to ext4 for /tmp in
/etc/fstab, and do the same for /home.

New pictures ... looked to me as the second command (mount) failed.

Btw, somewhere it suggested 'dmesg | tail' so I inserted it too.

Ok, plan B.

Comment out both /home and /tmp from fstab.
Reboot. It should give you both the console and the network.
Install fresh stretch kernel (version 4.9.0-9), reboot.
Try mounting /tmp afterwards.

Reco

Reco,

Thanks, success! Btw, since I don't not have broadband on my place where I read your plan B, I went to another place and did it slightly differently: I installed the new kernel (without prior commenting out /home and /tmp from fstab), then rebooted. The machine still reported the same errors as before - but after I changed fstab params for /home and /tmp to be ext4, it mounted them in a second. Subsequent rebooting was OK too. Will observe the behaviour in days to come.

Now I suppose that the above commands (plan A) are not needed. However, I wonder whether the other partitions (/, /usr, /var) shall remain ext3 in fstab, or they shall be changed to ext4 too.

Misko