Re: Cannot boot after distro upgrade

On 8/31/19 3:26 PM, Étienne Mollier wrote:

Maybe a check
of the memory and SMART data, if those options are available
from your BIOS, could be welcome, especially SMART since some
messages were mentioning checking the disk.

I checked the system memory and hard disk self test (quick test and SMART check), and the tests passed OK.

If operations here over do not make any difference, then you
really should consider creating a Rescue drive on an USB thumb.
I have had a good experience with SystemRescueCD over the years:

	http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/

But if you have a Debian installation media, you can also
achieve a thing or two by booting on the "Rescue Mode".

Ok, I borrowed from a friend the first installation CD for Debian 8.11.1 i386 and tried to use it for rescue. (I still have the CDs for Debian 6.0.1a i386 but supposed that the newer version is better.)

So, when entered rescue mode, I tried fsck at first. It refused because /dev/mapper/localhost-root was mounted as root file system. So I unmounted it and tried fsck again. It reported several issues in /dev/mapper/localhost-home and /dev/mapper/localhost-tmp, and offered to truncate and/or to fix them. When finished, the subsequent fsck reported all clean (/dev/mapper/localhost-home, /dev/mapper/localhost-tmp, /dev/mapper/localhost-usr, /dev/mapper/localhost-var).

# mount -a  reported (among the others):

"wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/localhost-home, missing codepage or helper program, or other error"

and

"wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/localhost-tmp, missing codepage or helper program, or other error"

# dmesg | tail reported (among the other):

EXT4-fs (dm-6): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities
EXT4-fs (dm-5): couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilities

# mount reported that /, /usr, and /var were there, but not /home and /tmp.

My /etc/fstab includes:

/dev/mapper/localhost-home /home ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/mapper/localhost-tmp /tmp ext3 defaults 0 2

When I reboot, those two fail.

Any idea?

PS: I can also try with that SystemRescueCD but just wanted to try this quickest way ...

Misko