Re: Cannot boot after distro upgrade

Misko, on 2019-08-31:
> On 8/31/19 3:26 PM, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > If operations here over do not make any difference, then you
> > really should consider creating a Rescue drive on an USB thumb.
> > I have had a good experience with SystemRescueCD over the
> > years:
> >
> >     http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/
> >
> > But if you have a Debian installation media, you can also
> > achieve a thing or two by booting on the "Rescue Mode".
> >

> Will try some of those. I have Debian installation media for
> 6.0.1 only and unsure whether it would work with strech.

Since your system probably inherited stuff from Squeeze (like
partition format version), it might work, but I wouldn't bet on
it either.

> > If you absolutely positively do not want to build a rescue
> > media, last chance option would be to edit the Grub menu entry,
> > and in the linux line, edit (or append if non-existent) the
> > following "init=" option (hit 'e' to edit the menu entry and F10
> > to boot):
> >
> >     linux root=UUID=[...] ro init=/bin/bash
> >
> > This is a last chance option, do not expect your system to
> > operate properly without a regular init process.  Boot in this
> > mode only to proceed to your investigations as of why the
> > machine fails to spawn the login process.  Quitting this shell
> > hangs the machine; you have to hard reset.
> >

> As said, no Grub here. Is there similar option for Lilo?

Using lilo, on Debian 10 but it shouldn't have much changed, I
could boot as such by retyping a command line looking like the
following on my virtual machine, at the "boot:" prompt:

	linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/vda1 ro init=/bin/bash

Your command line will be surely different since you are running
on real hardware.  Please, per Reco's recommendation, consider
to have a look at the document to properly use this mode:
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LILO-2.html , chapter 2.3.
>
> Reco

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54  2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d