Re: cat and pipelines, mostly (was Re: Delete all after a pattern)

On Sat 31 Aug 2019 at 11:11:43 (-0400), Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 10:39:00AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > On 2019-08-31 at 10:07, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> >
> > I actually think this is good behavior. The only obvious places to put
> > the cursor when doing command history are at the beginning of the line
> > and at the end, and for convenience-of-editing purposes, the end seems
> > obviously preferable to the beginning.
> >
> > What possible shell behavior would you suggest that might be better in
> > this regard?
> >
> When viewing the immediate prior command in history the cursor could
> placed at the same position on the line as where it was found when the
> command was executed (most likely because the user presed 'enter').

That completely screws up command history recall.

[Assuming we're speaking bash,] ↑ leaves the cursor at the end of the
previous command line so that ↑↑ goes to the next previous, and so on.
If ↑ leaves the cursor in the middle of the line, then ↑↑ can only
visit previous command lines that match up to the cursor position.
What good is that?

Cheers,
David.