Re: Another "useless us of cat" discussion

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 10:40:52AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2019-08-31 at 10:32, Teemu Likonen wrote:
>
> > The Wanderer [2019-08-31T08:39:56-04] wrote:
> >
> >> (Yes, that's technically a "senseless use of cat". I do it anyway,
> >> because always using pipes at every stage makes it easy to add or
> >> remove filtering stages without having to adjust the syntax in another
> >> part of the pipeline, and because it's easier to stick with that
> >> habitual pattern than to change it up in the relatively few cases
> >> where I can be sure that multiple stages aren't and won't be needed.)
> >>
> >> (And may I say that it's annoying to need to explain this every time,
> >> in order to forestall being called out for "senseless use of cat"? Not
> >> that I get called out for that here very much, but it does seem to
> >> happen virtually every time I don't include an explanation...)
> >
> > Discussions about "useless use of cat" have wasted far more resources
> > than the actual use of cat command.
>
> Agreed. I'm sorry for having started another one (and for continuing it,
> for that matter, although apparently not sorry enough to have not done
> so), out of trying to forestall exactly that.

Don't apologize.  This discussion hasn't devolved and if anything I've
picked up a new technique (Teemu's placement of input redirection on the
left) and some additional perspectives on reasons why people do things
in particular ways.

It is actually rather interesting.

Regards,

-Roberto