Re: ttf-mscore fonts and contrib repos

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 11:56:21AM -0500, Christopher Marlow wrote:
> On 8/23/19 11:17 PM, Richard Hector wrote:
> >  From your other responses, I think you've got it. But please, make sure
> > you understand what you're trying to achieve, and what the lines mean,
> > rather than relying on others to provide every last detail.
>

> I think I understand. I am new to debian from the Ubuntu world...
> So to sum it up... I was wanting the non contrib repos so I could download the TTF-MSCORE-Installer fonts aka Windows fonts. And then the other posters
> were telling me to remove the src source line because I wouldn't need them unless I was downloading packages to install them.
>
> I think thats all to sum it up.. If I missed anything let me know.

Ummm, just to clarify one thing here. The lines in /etc/apt/sources.list
that begin with deb (only deb, not deb-src) are the lines that tell apt
and friends where to look for packages to be installed (those are
usually binary packages) but lines that begin with deb-src tell apt and
friends where to look for the source of the binary packages. So you
don't need the deb-src lines unless you want to do something to the
source of the packages (try to compile them yourself, do some change to
the source and then compile to test out an idea etc etc).

It just seemd to me from your post that you were still confusing those
two (excuse me if that is wrong) :-)

So to sum it up:
   deb lines give apt and friends ability to install software
   deb-src lines give apt and friends ability to fetch source of
   packages

Cheers, Oli