Re: Debian 10 (Buster) and Swappiness

> Hi,
> After upgrading from Debian Stretch to Buster (10), we realize that it
> is not managing memory as before.
> First, even with Swappiness = 0 and having 32 Ram, (16 Gb using) it
> starts using Swap, and the system is slow and crashing.
>
> $ sudo sysctl -a|grep swappiness
> vm.swappiness = 0
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Gustavo

Hi Gustavo, If the system is slow and crashing, then I think something
went wrong with the upgrade.  I don't recall seeing anything in buster
release notes about changes im memory management, but maybe it could be a
kernel issue?  Is there a backport already on buster?  Not sure, might try
that...

I don't really see any point in trying to tweak swappiness myself.  The
kernel might need swap space for many reasons IIUC.  Here are some links I
saved from yrs past about it.

https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10678
https://scoutapm.com/blog/understanding-page-faults-and-memory-swap-in-outs-when-should-you-worry
http://northernmost.org/blog/swap-usage-5-years-later/

If it was me, I would look elsewhere.  Maybe try restoring swappiness, and
any other vm.* settings you have tweaked?

Good Luck,
bw