Re: Solution to "pathetic email complaints"

On Wed 21 Aug 2019 at 13:19:32 -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 08:38:13PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 20 Aug 2019 at 14:43:08 -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > >
> > > In some cases I block complete regions (geoip blocking). This
> > > obviously works only for "local" mailservers.
> > > But if you business doesn't have international clients, dropping
> > > ru, tw, hk, br lowers the traffic by 80%.
> >
> > You are entitled to *receive* whatever mail you want. But geoip
> > blocking? This is the antithesis of communication. "I plug my
> > ears if the someone from Russia or Hong Kong wants to talk with
> > me". It's relatively easy to do; I hope you do not expect a pat
> > on the back.
>
> Please ease up! I do not advocate this in general and I made
> the limited use very clear. If a local plumber with 5 employees
> uses this just for his business no freedom of speech or anti
> communication threads are at stake.
> You could probably block also 90% of the US and it would still
> work as expected.
> I educated them about limitations.

Ease up? Perhaps.

The "in general" is interesting and informative. Suppose the USPS, Royal
Mail or Deutsche Post etc decided the point of origin or the destination
for a mail was a criterion in their delivery policy? What a world we
would live in then! But the email world gaily goes about deciding who
sends or gets email in the name of spam fighting.

The epitomy of this is the discrimination against dynamic addresses. Want
to be a mail second class citizen on the Net? Easy; don't have a static
address. Want to be homeless and send or receive a letter - Royal Mail
will not stop you. Email is a solution which has been turned into a toy
communication system.

--
Brian.