Re: Solution to "pathetic email complaints"

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 07:31:57 -0400
Henning Follmann <hfollmann@itcfollmann.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 05:15:41PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > > >

> > > I disagree... I like having my domain and email..
> >
> > What does that have to do with whether there are bad paid services? Whether
> > the service is free or paid, you need to evaluate whether it's meeting your
> > needs and, if not, pick a different service. Just paying for it doesn't
> > guarantee anything.
> >
> > That said, owning a domain does at least make it easier to change
> > providers--and I recommend doing so for just that reason--but that's a
> > slightly different thing than just paying for an email address. It's also
> > worth noting that it's increasingly difficult to implement reliable email
> > service for a domain that isn't something like gmail.com (because third
> > parties may randomly direct people to stop accepting mail from your domain)
> > and smaller email providers may not have the resources to deal with the
> > these issues.
> >

> Well,
> while I agree it is difficult setup an email service, but not
> prohibitively so.
> If you setup your DNS properly create SPF an DKIM almost all
> providers will accept your email IF (and that's a very big if)
> you do not spam. And just the fact that you think you got an

But IIUC, it's not just that *you* don't spam: other servers will take
into account things like your IP "neighborhood":

https://luxsci.com/blog/how-do-i-fix-the-reputation-of-my-ip-address.html

And, of course, who had that IP address before you, which practically
means that you need a static IP address.

Celejar