Re: duckduckgo

> hi folks,
>
> last days I get some slightly disturbing info about the browser_ad
> DuckDuckgo. some say it's malicious 'malware', others seem to be happy
> with the popup of unwanted ads which cannot be blocked permanently: and
> the last thing makes me suspicious. please, if it is possible, an expert
> opinion on this ad. i am using buster and seamonkey as a browser .
>
> thank you in advance,
>
> steef van duin
> groningen
> holland

I don't know what you mean by, "last days" but I guess this is a recent
problem?  You reference what some say about malware, but provide no links?
You say you are using seamonkey on buster, but it is not in the repo.
https://wiki.debian.org/Seamonkey

Duckduckgo privacy policy warns about, "...free proxies (like the one we
use) are funded by arguably excessive advertising."
https://duckduckgo.com/privacy

So the issue is unclear.  I used seamonkey years ago, but I think it has
been removed from debian since squeeze?  There may be some plugins still
working, but the xul-ext* plugins were pretty much abandoned after jessie.

You should use a modern browser with decent security support, try this:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#browser-security

Good Luck.
bw