Re: dbus-deamon avoiding reboot after upgrade

On 8/15/2019 6:52 PM, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 14 Aug 2019 at 07:36:21 +0200, john doe wrote:
>
>> Hi Rico, and thanks for your answer.

>>> Pro: keeping uptime
>>> Con: keeping previous, possibly buggy, version for dbus running.

>>> dbus is not mandatory and is redundant for typical server software.
>>> If you don't need it - just uninstall it. Simple as that.
>>>

>> okay, dbus is only required when a DE (Gnome,Mate, ...) is present.
>> If I'm correct, and given the fact that I don't use a DE, I could look
>> at safely remove it?
>
> You are not correct. 'apt rdepends dbus' is worth looking at.

Okay, as far as I understand it, depends means that it will be pulled as
an dependency but not that it is required for it to work properly.
What I'm starting to realise is that to much dependencies are pulled to
implement lots of feature that is not always necessery.

Before posting to the list, a google search let me think that dbus is
only required when DE is wanted.
Do you have online documentation that would explain why dbus is required
when no DE is used?

P.S.

The Debian bugreport provided in this thread seems to corroborate your
pointbut  I can't find something tangible to back that up.

--
John Doe