Re: webmail and email from command line

On Wed 14 Aug 2019 at 12:19:01 (-0600), Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> loredana <llcfree@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 3:00 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> >
> >> [...]
> >
> >> Note that what Google calls there "less secure applications" is just
> >> marketing mumbo-jumbo to nudge users off their non-browser clients.
> >
> > I know. But knowing it, and perhaps blaiming it, is not a solution.
> >
> >> Is changing mail provider an option for you?
> >
> > Yes, not an easy one, 'though. Image writing to all your contacts,
> > human and automatic ones, and convince them to write to a new email
> > address.
>
> For exactly that reason, years ago I bought my own domain (no, this
> isn't it -- mostly out of inertia, I still post to usenet using my old
> NMSU address) and run my own email server.

Just to make it clear, you don't have to go to the trouble of running
a mail server just because you buy a domain. A hosting service can do
this for you, so that you need do no more than read emails and manage
your inboxes through a mail client via IMAP, and send emails through
their smarthost via SMTP.

I originally bought my domain through my ISP, and it cost nothing
because it was bundled into their service. I've moved it once, to
an independent hosting service, when I changed my ISP to one that
doesn't do hosting.

Since moving continents (and ISP), I've kept the domain with the same
hosting service (in the UK). They automatically reregister it
(actually, them) automatically every two years (as they did just today).
It means no change in email addresses every time you move.

> That way I only had to do it
> one last time, and won't need to change again.
>
> > Moreover, is this going to be a solution?
> >
> > Which provider would you suggest?
>
> There are multiple providers out there that will work fine.  I'm on
> netfirms.com; I'm webmaster for a shotgun club
> (mesillavalleyshotgunsports.com) that uses godaddy.com.

Cheers,
David.