Re: Error with logrotate.

On Tuesday 13 August 2019 15:03:53 Lee wrote:

> On 8/13/19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> So why should user be able to write in /var/log? It is the systems
> >> log directory not the users.
> >
> > I don't have a beef with that. My beef is that there has been no
> > effort to make it easy for the user to take care of his own logs,
> > and now systemd wants to disable housekeeping the only sensible
> > place for a user to keep his logs in. And I totally fail to see how
> > that level of paranoia can be justified.
> >
> >> I am not aware of any program I've been using
> >> for the past 15y that would have a problem writing in /var/log
> >
> > Then tell me how fetchmail, procmail, clamav or spamd running as me,
> > can keep their logs in /var/log, the permissions just aren't there
> > after a reboot.
>
> I had the same problem with /var/log file permissions being reset so,
> for bind, I made a /var/log/bind, set the permissions on the directory
> & changed bind to log to /var/log/bind/named.log

I don't use bind, haven't touched it since it was attacked at RH6.2, in
what, 2001? decade+ ago. I don't even think its installed. yes it is but
its not running. In that case I sensed something wrong and rebooted the
machine before he could clean up his tracks, then kept a list as I
housecleaned, and sent it to his ISP along with a nastygram. 10 minutes
later his address disappeared from the logs never to appear again.
Since then I've only run hosts based systems. dnsmasq in the router, no
avahi or dhcp findable & the only dns address in any machine this side
of the router is the router. If the router doesn't have it in the cache,
it queries the ISP.  Its all attack-proof, and it all Just Works.

Theres lots of ways to skin that cat but I always start by making sure
its well and truly dead. :)

> ^shrug^ probably not The Right Way To Do It, but it works & I'm happy.

Didn't work here, didn't dig deep enough to find out why. I maybe could
have made it work, but since it was  my logs, why not just move them to
~/log ?  So I did, but stretches renewed paranoia just had to screw
something up. Hopefully these changes will work.

> If you make a /var/log/mail & configure fetchmail, procmail, etc. to
> log there it'll probably work
>
> Regards,
> Lee

Cheers, Gene Heskett