Re: Error with logrotate.

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Its good that we can fix it, BUT IF you are going to restrict where we
> keep logfiles like this then FIX the /var/log perms so that fetchmail,
> procmail, spamassassin, clamav and its ilk, running as the user can
> access /var/log to keep its logs.  Debian's legendary paranoia about who
> can write a log in /var/log has long since forced most of us that want
> that log, into moving it to /home/username/log and reprogramming
> logrotate to maintain it there years ago.

So why should user be able to write in /var/log? It is the systems log
directory not the users. I am not aware of any program I've been using for
the past 15y that would have a problem writing in /var/log

User programs you can put everywhere you want and you can customize whatever
you want, but do not change things that are good and working please.

usually you use opt for custom stuff, so why don't you put
there /opt/<user>/log

Logrotate also does not need to be modified - only for your custom stuff, so
it is expected and desired and it is easy to adjust.

just my 5c

regards