Re: Error with logrotate.

On 13.08.19 00:38, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Its good that we can fix it, BUT IF you are going to restrict where we
> keep logfiles like this then FIX the /var/log perms so that fetchmail,
> procmail, spamassassin, clamav and its ilk, running as the user can
> access /var/log to keep its logs.  Debian's legendary paranoia about who
> can write a log in /var/log has long since forced most of us that want
> that log, into moving it to /home/username/log and reprogramming
> logrotate to maintain it there years ago.

Nuthin' wrong with that. An individual user's logs in his tree, and
system logs in theirs. No effort:

$ grep log .fetchmailrc .procmailrc
.fetchmailrc:set logfile "/tmp/fetchmail_log"
.procmailrc:LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/tmp_log.$$
.procmailrc:FINAL_LOG=$MAILDIR/log

If you had a house full of rowdy teenagers, would you really want them
all able to wallop /var/log? And what if it were a tribe of uni
students? (I think I have you sufficiently worried now, Gene.)

Erik
(Who was both, once.)