Re: Editing LXDE menus

On 11/08/2019 21:48, Joe wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 20:19:07 +0100
> Paul Sutton <zleap@disroot.org> wrote:
>
>> To reply to my previous post.  I did a little more digging and have
>> produced a 2nd blog post with the results :
>>
>> http://zleap.net/lxde-menu-2/
>>
>> Still got a few questions presented at the end. At least there is a
>> nice menu editor which I will have a deeper look at later.
>>

> I used to use LXDE, but moved to Xfce when there were a few problems,
> quite a few years ago now. As far as I recall, I used the same menu
> editor then as now, alacarte. It has some gnome dependencies, but mainly
> python, much of which you will already have installed.
>
> I'd never heard of menulibre, it is certainly much more recent, and of
> course looks much like alacarte as it does the same job.
>
> I do recall in my LXDE days trying to display the Debian menu, which I
> think is now deprecated, but which contained quite a few items not
> shown by the Freedesktop menu structure. I remember a maze of twisty
> little XML files, none of which seemed to work as advertised. If you
> have 'Other' enabled on the main menu, you will know that it appears to
> contain at least one entry for every application installed, which the
> rest of the Freedesktop tree does not.

Hi Joe

Thanks for this,  I agree there seems to be a few problems 'alacarte'
does not appear to be installed by default.  The debian menu structure
is still there though as part of the lxde menu (kinda gets confusing
that).

I do think that some free software naming conventions makes it very hard
to work out what a program actually does alacarte is not immediately
associated with menus.

It is in the debian 10 repository as

alacarte/stable 3.11.91-4 all
  easy GNOME menu editing tool

and yet does not come up if running

apt search lxde menu

So if the two are linked then they are not linked in such a way that
suggests alacarte is the editor for lxde menus.

Anyway to me this is just some oddity with the Linux systems generally.
 It is nice to see that KDE and GNOME will be working together perhaps
other front ends will start doing the same.

I like variety, but a menu editor that works is pretty essential for
many users.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton