Re: (Solved) Re: Systemd start that won't stop

On Sat 10 Aug 2019 at 17:35:25 (+0300), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 10 aug 19, 09:12:22, Curt Howland wrote:
> >
> > Upon reboot, the ciphered drive login had no asterisks, and it was
> > 80x24 screen resolution. The boot sequence this time did not look like
> > RedHat with the green success indicators, in fact there were hardly
> > any boot messages on tty1 at all. This is different.
>
> Remove 'quiet' from the kernel command line if you want more boot
> messages  ;)

I found that gave too much information, and a better balance is given by

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="systemd.show_status=true quiet"

If you're interested in perusing them, you can also:

$ cat /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/noclear.conf
# /etc/systemd/system/getty@tty1.service.d/noclear.conf last edited 2015-04-26
# https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Disable_clearing_of_boot_messages

[Service]
TTYVTDisallocate=no
#

$

BTW, about the timeouts, there are lines like

DefaultTimeoutStartSec=90s
DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s

which can be edited in etc/systemd/system.conf. The defaults might be
ok for systems with lot of network stuff to start or stop, but the
stop timeouts in particular can be ridiculous, especially when they
keep expiring but adding more time.

Cheers,
David.