(Solved) Re: Systemd start that won't stop

> <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org> wrote:
> Just like the scanner in "Knight Rider", I see the picture.

Yes.

> What is the output of the following command?
>
>         $ sudo systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait

Unfortunately, since I went above-and-beyond before saving the text, I
don't have the output, only that it didn't say anything about what was
hanging it up, only that it was "waiting".

> It is supposed to be some sort of graphical boot screen.  I just
> tried it on my Buster machine, but the only notable difference
> that appeared. was that now I have asterisks when typing in the
> passphrase of my ciphered drive.  I'm not even certain this is
> related.

Yes, indeed. I went into dselect and removed Plymouth and its library,
no dependencies were noted except its library.

Upon reboot, the ciphered drive login had no asterisks, and it was
80x24 screen resolution. The boot sequence this time did not look like
RedHat with the green success indicators, in fact there were hardly
any boot messages on tty1 at all. This is different.

However, the boot was successful and the console is working perfectly
now. No more tty1 dead.

Problem solved.

Many thanks.

Curt-