Re: Systemd start that won't stop

On 09/08/2019 21.15, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2019-08-09 13:53 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:
>
>> On 8/9/19, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
>>> Hi. New Buster install.
>>> [ ***] A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes (2h
>>> 54m 38s / no limit)
>> Those asterisks are also red, and moving left to right, the same as
>> seen during shutdown when something won't politely die.
>>
>> Only two things look interesting to me under "list units::
>> # systemctl list-units
>> getty@tty1.service                                loaded inactive
>> dead      start Getty on tty1
>> plymouth-quit-wait.service                        loaded activating
>> start     start Hold until boot process f
>>
>> Since tty1 would be the console, it makes sense that it would be dead.
>> I have no idea what a "plymouth" is.
> So you probably have no idea why it is installed in the first place?
> Just curious, because there is a huge rise for plymouth in the number of
> popcon submissions[1] since the Buster release, and I wonder why.
>
> Cheers,
>        Sven

Good day Sven,

It seems to be pulled by "task-gnome-desktop", either by
dependency, or mere recommendation, I don't know.  From the
quick test I did, it appeared in the list of packages to be
installed:

	$ sudo apt install task-gnome-desktop

This looks like a component of Debian default installation from
now on; unless I misunderstood the role of task-* packages.
Hence the sudden rise in popularity.

Kind regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
               5AB1 4EDF 63BB CCFF 8B54 2FA9 59DA 56FE FFF3 882D