Re: Server hardware advice.

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019, 3:35 PM Steven Mainor <steve@degga.net> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on how to build a home server with a primary focus on
security. I plan to run nextcloud and a mail server that will serve 3 to 5
people at most.

My requirements are:

A server setup that can be run with completely open source software and
doesn't require any binaries to boot. I don't trust anything closed source for
this particular project.

A gigabit ethernet port.

A USB3.0 port or SATA connector to attach storage to.

Enough processor power and ram to run nextcloud and the mail server from an
encrypted hard drive (LUKS) efficiently with moderate throughput saving and
reading files from nextcloud.

I would just build something x86 based but the amd/intel Platform Security
Processor/IME stuff makes me nervous.

So far I have been looking at single board computers like the ones listed
here: https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware#OSHW

I like the OLinuXino A20 LIME2 but I am not sure the processor will be enough
to handle the overhead from an encrypted hard drive. I also don't like that it
is only 32-bit since that will limit the file size nextcloud can handle as I
understand it.

Is there anything similar to the OLinuXino A20 LIME2 but more powerful or is
there a better option I haven't read about yet?

--
Steven Mainor

Just grab one HP microserver NL36/40/54 series like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProLiant-Microserver-G8-G1610T-Server-12GB-EEC-Ram/223611463875 and forget about that SBC nonsense :-)