Re: How free is Debian

On 2019-08-08 at 09:06, Shahryar Afifi wrote:

> On Thu, 2019-08-08 at 17:37 +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 8/8/19 2:27 pm, Shahryar Afifi wrote:
>>
>>> Very well said. If debian free is not using amd64 microcode, so
>>> what kernel module runs my cpu as 64bit?
>>
>> Here's part of the problem.....
>>
>> The CPU has it's own microcode, when you buy it; the motherboard
>> manufacturer may or may not update the BIOS and if they do, then
>> they may or may not provide an update to the microcode.
>>
>> Now, you already have microcode, one way or another, using
>> non-free to get an update to the microcode is the best you can do
>> as you, theoretically know you can trust the source of the blob (as
>> much as you trust Debian AND Intel of course.
>>
>> You can download microcode directly from Intel, it won't stop it
>> being a binary blob though.
>>
>> If you really need more TOTALLY FREE, then consider RISC-V now or
>> in the future; their may be other viable alternatives, but
>> something will always get you.... like for instance the blob of
>> firmware with your mouse or your monitor, even your keyboard.  And
>> yes there are open source keyboards, but I'm not sure about other
>> components.  Heck, even your HDD (of any type) has it's own
>> firmware blobs, some of which can only be sent to the device and
>> never read back.
>>
>> So, I guess, totally free really means, give up on electronic gear
>> altogether.

> Thank you for this acknowledgment. Currently I have X61 with
> Middleton BIOS that claims to be free. Is that also not the case?

I'm not familiar with that particular product, but the BIOS isn't the
CPU firmware, although it may implicitly contain and apply files which
update the CPU firmware; the BIOS is the motherboard firmware, which is
a different kettle of fish.

In addition to the separate objects which Andrew mentioned as
potentially each containing their own firmware blob, there tend to be
distinct firmware for each of the motherboard, CPU, GPU, network adapter
(especially if wireless), sound card, et cetera - many of which latter
may be integrated into the motherboard, but still have their own
firmware blobs, which are not under the control of the motherboard
manufacturer.

The motherboard firmware may well contain copies of the firmware blobs
for these integrated devices, and apply them as appropriate, but that
doesn't necessarily mean that the motherboard maker has any control over
what's in those blobs or what they do.

As far as I'm aware, there are significantly more projects out there to
produce free motherboard firmware (BIOS / UEFI images) than there are to
produce free firmware for any of those other things.

--
   The Wanderer