Re: Server hardware advice.

On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 02:08:30 -0400
Steven Mainor <steve@degga.net> wrote:

> You are correct. That was an oversight.
>
> Of all the items on that page I could probably afford the screwdriver
> and the heatsinks.
>
> I would like to keep the budget under $500 not including the hard
> drive(s) I already have drives. Less is better. --
> Steven Mainor
>
> On August 7, 2019 1:52:15 AM EDT, Richard Hector
> <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
> >On 7/08/19 5:29 PM, Steven Mainor wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for advice on how to build a home server with a
> >> primary
> >focus on
> >> security. I plan to run nextcloud and a mail server that will
> >> serve 3
> >to 5
> >> people at most.
> >>
> >> My requirements are:
> >>
> >> A server setup that can be run with completely open source
> >> software
> >and
> >> doesn't require any binaries to boot. I don't trust anything
> >> closed
> >source for
> >> this particular project.
> >>
> >> A gigabit ethernet port.
> >>
> >> A USB3.0 port or SATA connector to attach storage to.
> >>
> >> Enough processor power and ram to run nextcloud and the mail
> >> server
> >from an
> >> encrypted hard drive (LUKS) efficiently with moderate throughput
> >saving and
> >> reading files from nextcloud.
> >>
> >> I would just build something x86 based but the amd/intel Platform
> >Security
> >> Processor/IME stuff makes me nervous.
> >>
> >> So far I have been looking at single board computers like the
> >> ones
> >listed
> >> here: https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware#OSHW
> >>
> >> I like the OLinuXino A20 LIME2 but I am not sure the processor
> >> will
> >be enough
> >> to handle the overhead from an encrypted hard drive. I also don't
> >like that it
> >> is only 32-bit since that will limit the file size nextcloud can
> >handle as I
> >> understand it.
> >>
> >> Is there anything similar to the OLinuXino A20 LIME2 but more
> >powerful or is
> >> there a better option I haven't read about yet?
> >
> >You haven't mentioned a budget, but strong emphasis on security and
> >openness ...
> >
> >https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/ ?
> >
> >Richard

I have a similar home setup and have to say that with the mail service
and seafile server (and a few smaller services) running in docker the
setup the PC is already consuming 1G of ram. I m using an old PC. I
wouldnt suggest a less powerful box as you will run out of ram.
If you need fanless checkout an intel nuc. Debian should run fine with
it although I think it will need some drivers from the non-free repos.

Regards,
--
Nektarios Katakis