Re: Server hardware advice.

Quoting Reco (2019-08-07 08:53:52)
> On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 01:29:21AM -0400, Steven Mainor wrote:
> > I'm looking for advice on how to build a home server with a primary
> > focus on security. I plan to run nextcloud and a mail server that
> > will serve 3 to 5 people at most.
> >
> > My requirements are:
> >
> > A server setup that can be run with completely open source software
> > and doesn't require any binaries to boot. I don't trust anything
> > closed source for this particular project.
> >
> > A gigabit ethernet port.
> >
> > A USB3.0 port or SATA connector to attach storage to.
> >
> > Enough processor power and ram to run nextcloud and the mail server
> > from an encrypted hard drive (LUKS) efficiently with moderate
> > throughput saving and reading files from nextcloud.
>
>  These fit all your requirements (i.e. it'll run stock buster kernel
> without any additional firmware):
>
> Helios4 - [1]. 4 SATA ports controller attached to PCI-E.
> GnuBee - [2]. 6 SATA ports attached to PCI-E.
> Odroid HC2 - [3]. Single SATA port, attached to USB bus.

No powerful computers exist today completely without non-free parts:
Since you point to Open Source Hardware below, beware that none of above
devices are OSHWA certified: https://certification.oshwa.org/list.html -
if however your freedom concerns are limited to _software_ parts then it
is easier: Look for boards supported in mainline Linux and u-boot, and
supported in Debian!

Disregarding OSHW I agree that above options are good highlights.
Additionally I suggest Olimex A64-Olinuxino and ESPRESSObin, both
(unlike above options) known to be mainlined and work with Debian
Buster.

Personally, for hosting mail + Nextcloud for a small team I would
tolerate USB2.0 and use the OSHWA certified board Olimex A64-Olinuxino.

Only for heavy professional demands (e.g. an advertising agency pushing
big files across a LAN all the time) I would use a Helios4.

> > So far I have been looking at single board computers like the ones
> > listed here: https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware#OSHW

Happy to see that list being of use beyond the FreedomBox project and my
own competing https://solidbox.org/ :-)

Please note that above list is limited to more consumer-oriented devices
than your spec needs - e.g. must be sold with a proper case and be
cheaper than you tolerate.

> That list is outdated somewhat. But it gave me good ideas back in the
> day.

Care to elaborate?

 - Jonas