Re: Buster's Strange Behaviour Purging Firefox-esr

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 11:37:51 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat 03 Aug 2019 at 09:05:52 (-0700), Patrick Bartek wrote:

> > > That's almost surely because of libreoffice, whose -help packages depend
> > > on particular browsers:
> > >
> > > ,----
> > > `----
> > >
> > > So if you remove firefox-esr it will be replaced by by epiphany-browser,
> > > and vice versa.  If you uninstall both, apt will choose konqueror as the
> > > next alternative which brings in all the other stuff.
> > >
> > > Here is the relevant changelog entry from libreoffice:
> > >
> > > ,----

> > > `----
> >
> > That was it!  Purged "help" component which is optional by the
> > way, to test if it was, and was able to purge epiphany-browser without
> > any gotchas.  Strange that Google Chrome isn't an "approved" browser.
> > If you're going to have such a dependency, it should be general (that's
> > the way I always tried to code) like System Default Browser or Any
> > Browser.
> >
> > LibreOffice Help in 5.2 that I use in Stretch doesn't have the browser
> > dependency. but since I never installed Help, I don't know what is used
> > to display it.
> >
> > In any case, I normally have firefox quantum installed along with
> > Chrome.  So, out of curiosity, I'm going to test if that will satisfy
> > the dependency, too.
>
> Are either of chrome and quantum even Debian packages? How can
> anything depend on them. OTOH it might be possible to make a dummy
> package with /etc/alternatives to satisfy the dependency and still
> use your favourite browser in their stead.

No. Neither are in Debian repos.  Chrome downloads as a .deb package or
rpm if you don't use Debian. I use gdebi to install it. Although you can
use dpkg, but there are a couple of dependencies you need to install as
well. Quantum is a zipped tar file that I manually as root copy
to /opt and manually create a .desktop file for it so it will be in the
menus, and I can create a quicklauncher in lxpanel.  Never tried having
the tar extracted directly to any other place except in the user
Download folder.

Still working on that last part of your reply.  Or some other
fix. As of now, no joy.  Can't even install firefox-esr anymore.  Apt
reports file not available or some-such.  Strange.  Of course, I have
been  doing a lot of things to Buster during my evaluation.  But it's
in a VM and I don't care if I break it.

Thanks for your reply.