Re: Useful links - was {Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?}

On Sat 03 Aug 2019 at 08:18:13 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 07/29/2019 05:40 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > Sneakernet for file transfer has become annoying.
> > Ethernet is undesirable in my environment so I am only interested
> > is wireless.
> > I have only a few machines a max of 6' apart.
> > My usage would typically be peer-to-peer but I want to communicate
> > between any two machines.
> > My web connectivity is via a T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot (WiFi turned off).
> > I run Debian 9.8.
> >
> > I've just begun reading - primarily Wikipedia articles and some
> > links from them.  My primary question is "What should I be
> > reading?" in order to ask appropriate questions. Specificallty
> > "What?" and "Why?" much more than "Howto?".
> >
> > A concern is security issues. Bluetooth, being short range, may
> > thus have an advantage. Speed is not an issue for my expected
> > usage. (I was one of my ISP's last 6 dial-up clients ;)
>
> ON TOPIC references include:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_ad_hoc_network
> https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/AdHoc

Well, that blows up your security concerns. And now you've got six
times as much configuring to do. A cheap router does all that for
you, the security monitoring logs and the configuration of all
the hosts. And it's something that everyone here uses and understands.

> Bluetooth verging on moot as not all *my* machines have it.

Cheers,
David.