Re: odd passwd problem.

On Thursday 01 August 2019 08:01:40 Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> On 8/1/19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Debian-arm netinstall on a pi3b;
> >
> > No root pw set, I am housebroken to using sudo now.
> >
> > netinstall didn't install x anything although I thought I was
> > selecting xfce4, so my first action on the reboot was to
> > "sudo apt install xfce4". reboot, works, have x and 4 workspaces.
> >
> > Then "sudo apt install build-essential and buildbot, cups". reboot,
> > worked once, login normal. Then I plugged in a 120GB ssd which had a
> > bunch of src stuff on it I'll need later and powered up again. Can't
> > login, passwd no good.  Dbl check, caps lock off, try again several
> > times, passwd no good.
> >
> > Come to the house and ssh -Y picnc. passwd good, I have 2 sessions
> > running right now from konsoles on this machine. Back to the garage,
> > passwd fails.
> >
> > Suggested course of action? I do have access to it via ssh. And sudo
> > -i works.
>
> Hi, Gene.. Are you logging in from a terminal/console interface or
> graphical GUI?
>
> If it's console... is there any chance your keyboard might be
> sticking, even if for only an extra nanosecond too long?

I thought of that, and tried very quick pecks so keyboard repeat wouldn't
have time to kick in, didn't  help. At the machines own keyboard it
didn't help. Thats a lightdm login I believe, where from here its ssh.

I just tried resetting it to a trash but long word from here, login
worked from here in house, but not at the machine, then changed it back
from here in the house, works from here but not at the machines own
keyboard and mouse.

I think I've found a bug! But what package do I blame it on?

This is the 5th net-install I've done that has upchucked for something at
about the 6th or 7nth reboot as I'm building it up to replace a raspian
stretch install with very slow video.

> My experience for many years has been that the first console is
> especially a stinker about having a super fast keystroke repeat
> setting. We can see it visually when typing in normal commands but
> would have no idea it's occurring for passwords where there's no
> visual cue as to what's occurring.

Back in jessie days, it did not set the keyboard repeat at boot, so the
first thing was to call up that util and set the repeat down from around
1000 to 15 or 20, then it worked fine until the next reboot, but I've
seen nothing like that on stretch by raspian.

> Not too long ago, I saw a User asking about the ability to add a
> visual aid, e.g. those classic asterisks, to a password entry field
> that currently just sat there blank. The ability to make that User
> CHOICE would sure come in handy for at least that initial login
> console, depending on one's accessibility needs. Persons with
> disabilities related to mobility, dexterity would potentially benefit
> the most.

Absolutely.

> Afterthought.. That option may currently exist. The above just
> reflects that I haven't tripped over it yet. :)

Me either Cindy.  Sigh.

> Cindy :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)