Re: odd passwd problem.

On 8/1/19, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> Debian-arm netinstall on a pi3b;
>
> No root pw set, I am housebroken to using sudo now.
>
> netinstall didn't install x anything although I thought I was selecting
> xfce4, so my first action on the reboot was to
> "sudo apt install xfce4". reboot, works, have x and 4 workspaces.
>
> Then "sudo apt install build-essential and buildbot, cups". reboot,
> worked once, login normal. Then I plugged in a 120GB ssd which had a
> bunch of src stuff on it I'll need later and powered up again. Can't
> login, passwd no good.  Dbl check, caps lock off, try again several
> times, passwd no good.
>
> Come to the house and ssh -Y picnc. passwd good, I have 2 sessions
> running right now from konsoles on this machine. Back to the garage,
> passwd fails.
>
> Suggested course of action? I do have access to it via ssh. And sudo -i
> works.

Hi, Gene.. Are you logging in from a terminal/console interface or
graphical GUI?

If it's console... is there any chance your keyboard might be
sticking, even if for only an extra nanosecond too long?

My experience for many years has been that the first console is
especially a stinker about having a super fast keystroke repeat
setting. We can see it visually when typing in normal commands but
would have no idea it's occurring for passwords where there's no
visual cue as to what's occurring.

Not too long ago, I saw a User asking about the ability to add a
visual aid, e.g. those classic asterisks, to a password entry field
that currently just sat there blank. The ability to make that User
CHOICE would sure come in handy for at least that initial login
console, depending on one's accessibility needs. Persons with
disabilities related to mobility, dexterity would potentially benefit
the most.

Afterthought.. That option may currently exist. The above just
reflects that I haven't tripped over it yet. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with birdseed *