Re: Stream m3u8 not supported by network music player

On 8/1/2019 5:27 PM, john doe wrote:
> On 8/1/2019 4:10 PM, Reco wrote:

>>> Thanks Rico and "Kevin DAGNEAUX <kevin.dagneaux@fiitelcom.fr>"
>>>
>>> Ok -- I've done that!
>>>
>>> Now if I do the below command I only get one line and the command exit
>>> with 1:
>>>
>>> $ cvlc output.mp3; echo $?
>>> VLC media player 3.0.7 Vetinari (revision 3.0.7-0-g86cee31099)
>>> 1
>>>
>>> Where output.mp3 is a file that is playable.
>>>
>>> I'm assuming that the above is expected because  the
>>> codecs/modules/libraries that are required are missing.
>>> If I'm correct, what is the best way to know what I need?
>>
>> apt install vlc-plugin-base
>>
>> Just a friendly warning - it'll bring a kitchen sink and a whole zoo along.
>>

> Yeah, vlc-plugin-base will also install x11 related stuff.
> Looking at ffmpeg it will install x11 related stuff and also some for
> wayland stuff, and I also need an other utility to stream to multiple
> devices.
> Streamlink could do what I want with the '--player-external-http' option
> but I would need ffmpeg to convert my stream to mp3 and can only stream
> to one device at a time.
> Given that vlc does all that I want in one program, I might aas well go
> for it and try to be as selective as possible in what plugin I install.
> Even with the verbose flag, vlc does not tell me what is missing, I'll
> need to look at the docs to see how I can get vlc to be as verbose as
> possible.

I'm trying to follow the example of (1, 9.2.4. HTTP streaming) but I'm
getting nowhere:

"9.2.4. HTTP streaming
Stream in HTTP :"

"on the server, run :

% vlc -vvv input_stream --sout
'#standard{access=http,mux=ogg,url=server.example.org:8080}'
on the client(s), run :

% vlc http://server.example.org:8080";

Can someone confirm that the two commands  work for him/her?

Any input is welcome.

1)  https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/VideoLAN-HOWTO/x1096.html#AEN1136

--
John Doe