Re: Preseed installation: definition of host/domain names

Hello,

progress report on the issue resolution...

I have found that there are a several cases related to the issue with installation run from netboot (DHCP-PXE):

Case A
Requirements: New installed system should obtain hostname and domain from DHCP/DNS server during installation process without pause for confirmation.
Solution: It is sufficient to add 'priority=critical' into kernel parameters of PXE configuration file

Case B
Requirements: During installation Debian installer should stop for confirmation of DHCP/DNS offer for hostname and domain name
Solution: don't put anything related to hostname and domain name of PXE configuration file (DHCP/DNS) offers names and you confirm it by pressing 'Enter'

Case C
Requirements: We in advance assign host and domain names to a computer for netboot installation
Solution: add 'hostname=some_name domain=some_domain' into PXE configuration file -- Debian installer accepts selection and proceed without pause for confirmation

Case D
Requirements: We in advance assign host and domain names to a computer for netboot installation, during installation we should be asked for confirmation
Solution: add 'hostname?=some_name domain?=some_domain' to PXE configuration file, Debian installer will ask for confirmation

Documentation has some reference (without good example)
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/apbs02.html.en

In my particular case the solution is to append following 'auto=true url="" Debian installer will look for http://install.example.com/d-i/buster/preseed.cfg preseed file, postpone questions about locale and keyboard until network interface gets up and preseed file become available (delay for definition of locale and keyboard is achieved with auto=true).

Andy