Re: 3 phase power (was Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?

rhkramer writes:
> Oh, wow, how quickly I forget -- I did encounter systems like that,
> often for lighting in industrial applications, And, further, iirc, we
> could (and did) buy and install florescent light (and maybe HID?)
> fixtures designed to work on 208 volts, which we connected phase to
> phase in that kind of system.

> Of course, I could be misremembering.

You're correct.  120/208 is commonplace.

There are also 480/277 systems with the loads connected phase to
neutral.  The advantage is that the load is dead when the light switch
on the phase side of the load is opened and the voltage is low enough to
permit the use of ordinary devices yet high enough to save money on
wire.

At U of M Hospital the electricians managed to miswire a corridor on
such a system in such a way the last half of the corridor and all the
rooms off of it were connected in star but not connected to the neutral.
Hilarity ensued.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com