3 phase power (was Re: Wireless home LAN - WiFi vs Bluetooth?

I was trained as an electrical engineer, and I'd love to be able to clarify
the situation, I'm not sure I can without using far too many words.

3 phase power (around the world as far as I know) consists of (usually) 3
wires carrying electrical power at a given frequency (in the US, 60 Hz., in
some other countries 50 Hz., and, once upon a time (and maybe still in some
places (including at one time parts of the US (or industries therein) at 25
hz.

A fourth wire may be a neutral wire (grounded or not), and there may be a 5th
wire as a safety ground).

The key thing is that those hot wires are carrying power that is 120 degrees
out of phase with the other two wires.  (One of the key advantages of this
arrangement is that it makes it easy to create a rotating magnetic field which
is the key thing that makes lots of motors work (there are DC motors and
single phase motors that work on somewhat different approaches).

Most residential power in the US is created using a single phase transformer
(so called because (1) it only takes power from one of the 3 phases mentioned
above and (2) darn -- it's a bitch getting old.  The secondary of that
transformer is center tapped with the center tap almost always grounded, such
that the other two taps from the secondary both produce 120 volts (RMS
nominal), but out of phase with each other by 180 degrees.

From the standpoint of the English language (at least the common American
dialects), I see nothing inherently wrong with calling those two hot wires
(the non-grounded end taps) as phases, because, they are, indeed, 180 degrees
out of phase, but that is not the common terminology.

More commonly it is just called (or what I call it) 240/120 volt single phase
power.  If you need 120 volts, you connect from one hot tap to the center tap.
If you need 240 volts, you connect to the two end / hot taps.

I have seen diagrams in NEC code books for a different arrangement to get 120
volt 3 phase power, but I don't recall ever actually encountering that in real
life.  In that case, iirc, 120 volt loads are connected from a hot tap to the
neutral wire (the 4th wire of the 3 phase arrangement), and you get
(nominally) 208 volts (RMS) connecting phase to phase.  I have seen things
like motors that were rated like 240 / 208 volts (or something like that).

I hope this is at least somewhat helpful.