Re: Can Grub Boot Through a USB Port on an Old PC?

On Tue 23 Jul 2019 at 10:37:46 -0500, Martin McCormick wrote:

> Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> writes:
> > Le 23/07/2019 à 04:53, Martin McCormick a écrit :
>
> > Do you mean that GRUB is installed on an internal drive ?
>
> Yes.
>
> > By default, GRUB relies on the BIOS disk services to access drives. But it
> > also has native ATA and USB drivers which are not loaded by default. See
> > the 'nativedisk' command.
> >

> > Be aware that loading native drivers switches GRUB to a new different
> > world
> > : BIOS drives (hdX) will not be available any more and environment
> > variables pointing at drives such as $root and $prefix will need to be
> > updated with native drive names (ataX, usbX...).
>
> Thanks again for the heads up.

I tried the nativedisk command of GRUB some years ago but cannot
recollect in any detail whether it solved my issue with three machines
unable to boot from a USB stick. I went back to using Plop with GRUB
either because nativedisk didn't help or because Plop is an easy to
implemennt solution.

  https://www.plop.at/

--
Brian.