thunderbird / icedove directory snafu ?

Hi.

I am aware TB in Debian went through a rebranding to Icedove and back to the original name because... well, reasons.

The new userprofile directory is supposed to be .thunderbird and the system checks whether .icedove still exists and it's not a symlink: in this case it will abort and display an error.

Then I zap .icedove and start TB again. All is well. I shut it down and repeat: again the same error and program quits. It re-created .icedove!

Basically, the keep the TB version currently in testing happy, I need .icedove to be a symlink to .thunderbird even if I have completed the transition long ago.

Does it make sense?
Is it a (possibly known) bug?

Thanks,
Andrea.