Re: [SPAM] Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

hobie, on 2019-07-20 :
> Thanks. :)  I have a faint memory of inserting 'nomodeset' long years ago
> in the interest of keeping my console screen at 80x25.
>
> cat /proc/cmdline
> BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-[...] root=UUID=[...] ro nomodeset reboot=pci quiet
                                     There it is:   ^~~~~~~~~

I'm not sure about the "reboot=pci" but you might want to remove
"nomodeset" from your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub,
then `sudo update-grub`.

Otherwise said, in details:

> Contents of /etc/default/grub:
>
> GRUB_DEFAULT=0
> GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset reboot=pci"
Remove this:          ^~~~~~~~~~

[...]
> # The resolution used on graphical terminal
> # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
> # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
> #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And you might also want to uncomment that and introduce the
variable GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep to keep your Linux console
down to 80×25 characters, so the paragraph would become:

	# The resolution used on graphical terminal
	# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
	# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
	GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
	GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

Not every graphical driver take this properly in account, but it
should be okay with raedon and amdgpu.

Once this is done, run the following command, and while it runs,
you should see your various kernels being listed.  This will
update the command lines at boot time:

	$ sudo update-grub

See how things evolve after issuing a reboot.

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
               5AB1 4EDF 63BB CCFF 8B54 2FA9 59DA 56FE FFF3 882D