Re: Psychedelic GUI after stable update to buster

Hi,

hobie, on 2019-07-19 :
> dpkg -l | grep -iE 'amd-graphics|amdgpu|\<ati\>|fglrx|radeon'
> ii  firmware-amd-graphics     [...]
> ii  libdrm-amdgpu1:amd64      [...]
> ii  libdrm-radeon1:amd64      [...]
> ii  radeontop                 [...]
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu [...]
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-ati    [...]
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-mach64 [...]
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-r128   [...]
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-radeon [...]

Well, there seem to be everything we need here, even a bit more.

> dmesg | grep -iE 'amd-graphics|amdgpu|\<ati\>|fglrx|radeon'
> [    0.340065] smpboot: CPU0: AMD A10-7860K Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G (family: 0x15, model: 0x38, stepping: 0x1)
> [    1.927704] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting.
> [    1.927756] [drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!
> [    2.085794] [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting.
> [   10.423460] [drm] VGACON disable radeon kernel modesetting.
> [   10.423512] [drm:radeon_init [radeon]] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module!
> [   10.859252] [drm:amdgpu_init [amdgpu]] *ERROR* VGACON disables amdgpu kernel modesetting.

Now, this is interesting!  While browsing the web independently
on the two error messages "VGACON disables amdgpu kernel
modesetting" and "No UMS support in radeon module!", in both
case the culprit was seemingly Kernel ModeSetting (KMS) being
disabled :

	https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/273471/how-to-solve-drmradeon-init-radeon-error-no-ums-support-in-radeon-module
	https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/884333-vgacon-disables-amdgpu-kernel-modesetting

This confirms the statement from Alexander V. Makartsev:
> Kernel mode setting (modeset) is often required to be enabled
> with recent kernels. "-1" usually means "auto".

It looks to me that you still have something somewhere, perhaps
not in /etc/modprobe.d since you cleaned that directory up, but
maybe lurking in some place else, maybe like /etc/default/grub,
which might still disable KMS.  Which command line is currently
applied ?

	$ cat /proc/cmdline

Are there particular settings applied to Grub, in case it
affects boot environment?

	$ cat /etc/default/grub

I suppose that once the question of KMS is cleared, it will be
possible to go further with other good advices given previously.

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
               5AB1 4EDF 63BB CCFF 8B54 2FA9 59DA 56FE FFF3 882D

PS: please, reply to the list, not myself with the list in copy,
    I had to glue the debian-user address, but am not sure it
    will be properly followed up in the archive:

	https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/07/thrd2.html