Re: USB wireless dongle not detected

On 18/07/19 7:49 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 July 2019 12:11:35 Richard Hobson wrote:
>
>> ip r  - gives no output
>>
> r=route, should be at least one address.

Not if there's no manual configuration and no working connections.

>> ip a - too much output to transpose accurately but seems to find
>> ethernet card (from MAC address given) and effectively tells me it
>> isn't connected (which it isn't).
>>
>> Any specific information you'd like me to convey?

> Are you perchance running a hosts file local net, behind a NATing router
> so all your local addresses are in the isolated 192.168.xx.yy block?
>
> Oh, cat & paste your /etc/resolv.conf too, ditto for anything in
> the /etc/network/interfaces.d directory.

All of that is unlikely to make a difference if there's no detected,
connected interface.

Richard, you haven't said why you don't want to use the card - can you
use it temporarily? That might at least let you get on line, and be able
to copy/paste things into email.

Richard