Re: HTTP shimmed to HTTPS.

On 18/07/19 3:55 PM, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
> *	From: "D. R. Evans" €doc.evans@gmail.com€
> *	Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 17:01:22 -0600
>> That doesn't seem to be correct. The original e-mail said:
>>> Jul 16 11:25:16 joule stunnel: LOG5[4]: Service [https] accepted connection from 127.0.0.1:36140
>>
>> So 36140 is the source port.
>
> I wondered about that also but my understanding is sketchy.
> Perhaps Reco didn't mean what he typed.  =8~|
>
>> It's typical behaviour of IP-based clients to choose a "random" [usually
>> uniformly distributed within some range] unused high port number for sending,
>> and they'll (for most protocols) listen for replies on that same number. In
>> general, one can't attach any meaning to the number: it was simply free for
>> the client to use.
>
> Random port numbers?  According to
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers 443 is
> the port for HTTPS, recognized as official by IANA. If a browser asks
> for https://x.y.z:443/path why change to https://x.y.z:36140/path?
>
> Thanks, (I guess),             ... P.

443 is the official destination port for https; it's what you need to
know to connect to it. 36140 is your randomly chosen source port - the
server finds that out when the connection is set up.

Since you're talking to the loopback address, both source and
destination IP addresses are 127.0.0.1.

Richard