Re: Re: amdgpu requires firmware installed

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem with AMDGPU driver after an update from stretch to buster. >> On startup no X server is started (but can be later on by calling startx),
>> and following error appears in the log.
>>
>> [    1.311354] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.
>> [    1.311464] [drm:amdgpu_pci_probe [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu requires
>> firmware installed
>>
>> While on stretch, I have installed some proprietary parts of AMDGPU-PRO,
>> and only removed it after the update. Can this be the cause of error,
>> and if so, can it be fixed?
>
>Possibly.  Your log shows that the amdgpu module is loaded very early,
>this must be done by the initramfs.  By default graphics drivers are not
>included in the initramfs, so maybe amdgpu is listed in
>/etc/initramfs-tools/modules ?
>
>> I have following firmware packages installed and up to date.
>>
>> firmware-amd-graphics
>
>That's the one you need.  If the amdgpu module complains that it's
>missing, maybe the firmware is not included in the initramfs.  I don't
>know how that could happen, though.
>
>Cheers,
>       Sven

How can I check if amdgpu is loaded during intiramfs operation?
Anyway, I think that lsinitramfs shows that firmware is included:

$ lsinitramfs /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r) | grep amdgpu
usr/lib/firmware/4.19.0-5-amd64/amdgpu
usr/lib/firmware/4.19.0-5-amd64/amdgpu/banks_k_2_smc.bin
usr/lib/firmware/4.19.0-5-amd64/amdgpu/bonaire_ce.bin
usr/lib/firmware/4.19.0-5-amd64/amdgpu/bonaire_k_smc.bin

Seems that its location is usr/lib/firmware, while it is installed in
/lib/firmware on the root filesystem...