Re: amdgpu requires firmware installed

On 2019-07-14 01:13 +0200, Vuk Vasiljevic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with AMDGPU driver after an update from stretch to buster.
> On startup no X server is started (but can be later on by calling startx),
> and following error appears in the log.
>
> [    1.311354] [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.
> [    1.311464] [drm:amdgpu_pci_probe [amdgpu]] *ERROR* amdgpu requires
> firmware installed
>
> While on stretch, I have installed some proprietary parts of AMDGPU-PRO,
> and only removed it after the update. Can this be the cause of error,
> and if so, can it be fixed?

Possibly.  Your log shows that the amdgpu module is loaded very early,
this must be done by the initramfs.  By default graphics drivers are not
included in the initramfs, so maybe amdgpu is listed in
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules ?

> I have following firmware packages installed and up to date.
>
> firmware-amd-graphics

That's the one you need.  If the amdgpu module complains that it's
missing, maybe the firmware is not included in the initramfs.  I don't
know how that could happen, though.

Cheers,
       Sven